Asset Forfeiture

We are known as one of the most aggressive criminal defense firms in Nebraska. You can rely on us to keep fighting until we resolve your case.

Fighting for Your Property Rights When Facing Criminal Charges

Was your car or money taken by the police in a drug traffic stop? If you are innocent of any illegal drug activity, you may be able to recover your lost assets. Even if you have been convicted of drug trafficking, it may be possible to challenge the asset forfeiture on other grounds. At Monzón, Guerra & Chipman, Attorneys At Law, we are familiar with the many legal strategies in place that protect your property.

We can investigate your case to determine if the police illegally seized your property and help you take legal action to recover your assets. Our office is in Lincoln, Nebraska, but we represent clients throughout the state as well as out-of-state drivers targeted in interstate drug traffic stops.

Call 402-979-8703 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Asset Forfeiture Explained

The government can take the property of an individual suspected of a drug crime – even before they face trial. Any assets thought to be paid for with money from a drug crime (a car, home, boat or other property) can be taken by the government. The asset forfeiture, based on the value of the property, is punitive in nature. Double jeopardy may apply, so an individual found guilty of the applicable crime may be able to avoid additional seizing of assets.

At Monzón, Guerra & Chipman, our Lincoln criminal defense lawyers are experienced in helping clients get their property back after the government has seized it during a drug search. This is a quasi-criminal action, requiring an individual to file a claim as the owner of the seized property.

Experienced Legal Counsel Is Available to You

For you to recover your vehicle, money or any other property taken by the government, you must file a claim against the district attorney. At this point, the case gets transferred to the asset forfeiture unit of the district attorney’s office, and the process can become complex. We can guide you through it.

Our firm’s lawyers can help you protect your assets and exercise your legal rights. Contact our law office at 402-979-8703 or call us at 402-979-8703 today to speak to an attorney in a consultation.