Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law

Call for Free Initial Consultation
Consultations are Confidential

contact Menu

Lincoln Nebraska Legal Blog

Fight Your DUI Charges. Contact Us Today.

Drug conviction for Nebraska man following girlfriend's slaying

It is not altogether clear whether the attempted robbery that took place at a residence in Lincoln, Nebraska, in July 2018 was related to drugs. Whatever the impetus, however, it resulted in the shooting death of a 36-year-old female occupant of the home. Last week, the woman's boyfriend pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana with intent to deliver after video surveillance footage allegedly showed him attempting to hide money and drugs in anticipation of law enforcement's arrival to the scene of the shooting.

The alleged attempted robbery took place in the early hours of a summer morning. Surveillance cameras outside the home reportedly recorded three men entering the home while carrying handguns, kicking in the door to gain entry. Authorities have determined that, in the three minutes that the three men were inside the house according to the surveillance footage, there were 13 shots fired from one or more 9-millimeter handguns within the residence, one of which struck and killed the woman. 

Deportation defense: There are steps you can take

If you are facing deportation, it's imperative to learn more about your situation. In addition to what's happened to this point, you should also learn more about the many federal laws that dictate your future.

As difficult as it sounds, there are many steps you can take to avoid deportation. The types of relief fall into one of the following categories:

  • Discretionary relief: With removal proceedings in motion, you're able to use this to defend yourself. It's your responsibility to prove that you're eligible for relief based on the current laws.
  • Cancellation of removal: This is only available to qualifying non-permanent residents and lawful permanent residents. With this, your status is changed from deportable to lawfully admitted. You're required to complete an application for cancelation of removal.
  • Asylum: Depending on the circumstances, an alien may receive asylum if they qualify as a refugee. It's your responsibility to prove an inability to return to your home country as a result of fear of persecution, such as related to religion or race.
  • Adjustment of status: This happens when your immigration status is changed while living in the United States. An adjustment of status typically occurs as the result of a petition by a spouse, immediate family member or employer.

Prison sentence for Nebraska man convicted on 5th DUI

A 52-year-old man in Norfolk, Nebraska, has a history of DUI convictions dating back to the year 2006. An incident in February resulted in his fifth DUI conviction. In the past, the man has successfully completed the probation sentences he received for his previous convictions. In this case, despite a request from his defense attorney for Specialized Substance Abuse Supervision probation, which she argued was more suitable for someone addicted to alcohol as her client appears to be, the judge sentenced the man to a prison term of four to six years on the DUI charge. A second charge of obstructing a police officer garnered an additional three-month sentence. 

At the sentencing hearing, the man acknowledged that alcohol is having a profoundly negative effect on his life and took the opportunity to apologize for disrespectful behavior to the authorities who arrested him in February. Reportedly, at that time the man was in a vehicle that was impeding traffic at the intersection of Madison Avenue and Seventh Street. A law enforcement officer allegedly asked him to move his vehicle to an area in which it would not be an impediment. Instead, the man reportedly took the next street over at a high rate of speed, allegedly abandoning his vehicle in a business parking lot and leaving the scene before authorities caught up with him. 

Plan for college costs during a divorce

Residents in Nebraska who get divorced while their children are still at home and have not yet reached college age should add planning for the cost of a college education to the list of things they should address in their divorce negotiations.

For starters, it is important to know how federal aid is determined. As explained by Student Loan Hero, it is the financial information of the custodial parent that is required on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form. The determination of which parent is the custodial parent is based on the amount of time a student has lived with either parent in a year or which parent provided the most financial support during a year. This may be different than which parent has legal custody. If a custodial parent has remarried, the step-parent's financial information will also be required on the FAFSA and impact the amount or type of aid a student may receive.

Immigrants make less than US citizens despite higher education

A common rhetoric heard among people who are anti-immigrant in Nebraska is that immigrants are taking their jobs. This statement was thrown around long before the current president took office, but has certainly become more prominent since the 2016 presidential elections.

What is interesting is that the immigrants most capable of taking local jobs are not the ones anti-immigrant Americans are usually concerned with. For example, according to one Forbes article, the Asian community are the mostly highly educated immigrants in America. More than half of Asian immigrants have a bachelor’s degree or higher in comparison to an American average of 32% with bachelor’s degrees or higher.

3 arrested after Nebraska drug investigation

Authorities in Lincoln, Nebraska, have arrested three individuals on drug charges following an investigation that lasted for several months and involved at least a dozen undercover drug buys. The charges include possession of a controlled substance, possession with intent to deliver and felon in possession of a firearm. Altogether, authorities confiscated 1 ounce of cocaine, 15.6 grams of cocaine and 3.5 pounds of methamphetamine, as well as a gun allegedly possessed unlawfully.

Law enforcement first arrested a 38-year-old man at a truck stop in Grand Island late last Tuesday evening. Allegedly, they discovered a handgun on him, along with approximately two pounds of meth. Upon obtaining a search warrant for his residence, authorities conducted a search which uncovered another 3.7 grams of meth and arrested a 21-year-old woman present at the location. Another search warrant for a different residential address resulted in the arrest of a 23-year-old woman who lives there. Law enforcement allegedly found 26.8 grams of suspected cocaine and 7.6 grams of heroin at the second location, in addition to 221 grams of suspected meth.

Is mediation the best way to settle your divorce?

Through divorce mediation, a divorcing couple is able to take full control by making decisions regarding the future. While success calls for negotiation and compromise, with the right approach both individuals will be satisfied with the end result of a settlement.

Divorce mediation can benefit any couple, especially those who have children together. If you find yourself in this position, you should learn more about mediation and the way the process typically unfolds in Nebraska.

What is parental interference and are there remedies for it?

After the finalization of your Nebraska divorce, there will undoubtedly be times when you or your ex is unable to meet the terms and conditions of your shared parenting agreement precisely. Maybe your son's dentist appointment ran over time and you could not drop him off until an hour later than what the parenting plan specifies. Maybe your daughter went for ice-cream with friends after school and your ex brought her by as soon as she got home. The courts expect and allow for interferences such as these, as they are out of either parent's control. However, what the courts do not allow is intentional interference with parenting time by either one of the parents.

According to FindLaw, parental interference occurs when one parent actively disrupts the other's scheduled time with the child. Depending on the extent of the interference, the courts may treat the offense as a criminal or civil matter.

IIP eligibility after a DUI

Among the many concerns that a driver in Nebraska is likely to have after an arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol is whether or not they will lose the right to drive for a period of time. For many people, the ability to drive is directly linked to their ability to get to and from work and, therefore, to support themslves and maybe even their family as well. It is no wonder, then, that driving privileges after a DUI evoke a lot of concern.

In Nebraska, a driver who has been convicted of a drunk driving offense might indeed be ordered to surrender their driver's license for some time. However, some people will be able to reinstate their driving privileges thanks to the ignition interlock permit program. As explained by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, an IIP is allows a person to drive if they install and use an ignition interlock device.

How can you get the child support you deserve?

In Nebraska, parents who are court ordered to pay child support must make these payments or risk going against the law. Unfortunately, that incentive isn't always enough to spur a parent into paying. What can you do if you are getting shortchanged out of the child support you rightfully deserve?

FindLaw takes a look at different tactics used for the enforcement of child support, which can change depending on your unique situation or the laws of your particular state, city, or county. They state that while it's possible to threaten a non-paying parent with jail time, this is generally used as a last resort due to the fact that a parent won't be able to earn money in order to make child support payments if they are in custody.

Email Us For a Response

Contact Monzón, Guerra & Associates Attorneys At Law

We Will Go The Extra Mile In Order To Achieve Your Goals & Exceed Your Expectations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law
1133 H Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Toll Free: 866-734-7798
Phone: 402-477-8188
Fax: 402-477-8202
Lincoln Law Office Map