Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law

Call for Free Initial Consultation
Consultations are Confidential

contact Menu

How can I establish paternity?

Fight Your DUI Charges. Contact Us Today.

When you father a child, you want to be in that child's life and have the full legal rights a father should have under Nebraska law. However, if you were not married to the mother when the child was born or prior to that, you have to establish your paternal rights through the legal system. It can be simple to do or more difficult, depending on your relationship with the mother.

According to the State of Nebraska Judicial Branch, to establish paternity, you first must ensure you are within the legal parameters. You must file in the county where you live and the child must have lived in the state since birth or for at least six months. In addition, the child must be younger than four years old.

If you meet all the requirements, you can file your complaint and pay a fee. Make sure that you file all documents required by the court. You will also need to complete a parenting education class and create a parenting plan with the mother. This plan outlines all the details of custody and visitation, including details such as how you will resolve issues and the rules for holidays. If you cannot come to an agreement, you may need to participate in mediation.

You will also need to take a paternity test. Once you have the results, you turn them into the court. Throughout the process, you must attend all court hearings or your case may be dismissed. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact Monzón, Guerra & Associates Attorneys At Law

We Will Go The Extra Mile In Order To Achieve Your Goals & Exceed Your Expectations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law
1133 H Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Toll Free: 866-734-7798
Phone: 402-477-8188
Fax: 402-477-8202
Lincoln Law Office Map