You Can Trust Your Toughest Legal Battles to Our Experienced Team.

You are not just another client to us. We will handle your matter with the respect, authority and care you deserve.

Modification of a divorce decree

On Behalf of | Jun 24, 2018 | Family Law |

Have you and your spouse in Nebraska decided that you can no longer remain married to each other? Maybe you have already instigated a divorce or maybe you have even come to what you believed was your final settlement agreement. Before you assume everything in your life is set in stone, it is a good idea to get some facts about how or when you might be able to make a change to a divorce agreement.

As explained by the Nebraska Revised Statutes, there is a period of six months that must pass after the date on which a divorce is first filed before that divorce can be officially completed. This six-month period may be referred to as the interlocutory period and it is during this time when a divorce is pending finalization that you might have one of your opportunities to amend your agreement or even to cancel it altogether. The cancellation of an agreement is commonly referred to as vacating the agreement.

Another time when you may be able to amend your divorce agreement is in the six months following the divorce finalization. One reason that may allow you to modify a divorce decree is the failure on the part of at least one party to share essential information with the court.

If you would like to learn more about the legalities surrounding how to get a divorce decree modified or even vacated, please feel free to visit the divorce modification page of our Nebraska divorce and family law website.