You Can Trust Your Toughest Legal Battles to Our Experienced Team.

You are not just another client to us. We will handle your matter with the respect, authority and care you deserve.

How can I establish paternity?

On Behalf of | Nov 6, 2018 | Child Custody & Visitation |

When you father a child, you want to be in that child’s life and have the full legal rights a father should have under Nebraska law. However, if you were not married to the mother when the child was born or prior to that, you have to establish your paternal rights through the legal system. It can be simple to do or more difficult, depending on your relationship with the mother.

According to the State of Nebraska Judicial Branch, to establish paternity, you first must ensure you are within the legal parameters. You must file in the county where you live and the child must have lived in the state since birth or for at least six months. In addition, the child must be younger than four years old.

If you meet all the requirements, you can file your complaint and pay a fee. Make sure that you file all documents required by the court. You will also need to complete a parenting education class and create a parenting plan with the mother. This plan outlines all the details of custody and visitation, including details such as how you will resolve issues and the rules for holidays. If you cannot come to an agreement, you may need to participate in mediation.

You will also need to take a paternity test. Once you have the results, you turn them into the court. Throughout the process, you must attend all court hearings or your case may be dismissed. This information is for education and is not legal advice.