Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law

Call for Free Initial Consultation
Consultations are Confidential

contact Menu

How can you get the child support you deserve?

Fight Your DUI Charges. Contact Us Today.

In Nebraska, parents who are court ordered to pay child support must make these payments or risk going against the law. Unfortunately, that incentive isn't always enough to spur a parent into paying. What can you do if you are getting shortchanged out of the child support you rightfully deserve?

FindLaw takes a look at different tactics used for the enforcement of child support, which can change depending on your unique situation or the laws of your particular state, city, or county. They state that while it's possible to threaten a non-paying parent with jail time, this is generally used as a last resort due to the fact that a parent won't be able to earn money in order to make child support payments if they are in custody.

Instead, there are other ways the court can force a parent to pay for support. This includes:

  • Seizing property
  • Withholding tax refunds
  • Suspending a business or occupational license
  • Revoking a driver's license

Another typical method is called wage garnishment. With this, a portion of one's paycheck is withheld by their employer in order to pay off debts such as child support. Additionally, it's possible that the U.S. government will disallow anyone who owes over $2,500 in child support payments to get a passport.

Due to the intense restrictions that these can place on a person's life, many have success in getting their payments if these strategies are implemented. In order to see what your own options are, you may want to contact an attorney who specializes in matters of divorce.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact Monzón, Guerra & Associates Attorneys At Law

We Will Go The Extra Mile In Order To Achieve Your Goals & Exceed Your Expectations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Monzón, Guerra & Associates, Attorneys at Law
1133 H Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Toll Free: 866-734-7798
Phone: 402-477-8188
Fax: 402-477-8202
Lincoln Law Office Map